Introduction: Today, I want to compare two moments in time, mentioned in Scripture, when times were very uncertain. Leadership was shifting, a new future was being forecast, and people were feeling extremely uncertain. When you feel uncertain, it is difficult to have strength for today and hope for the future.
Uncertain Futures – Deuteronomy 31:2-8
Does an uncertain future threaten to leave you stranded in an unhappy present with nothing to do but wait for the future?
Part of what makes uncertainty so stressful is it pushes on the pillars on which life and faith rest.
· Strength for today and Hope for tomorrow.
· When these pillars are shaken, anxiety fills our hearts, clouds our judgement, and weakens our hope.
Trust in God – “…the Lord will personally go ahead of you…”
God will personally go ahead of you and be with you in the next couple of weeks.
· When you’re feeling uncertain, find your strength by trusting in the most trustworthy relationship you have in your life.
Rest in God – “He will be with you; He will neither fail you nor abandon you.”
When you’re feeling uncertain, you don’t need be anxious about the God who has brought you safe so far.
· You know He can and will take the next steps with you.
Palm Sunday was a next step in the direction of mercy and grace; toward forgiveness and peace with God for all people, everywhere. Dark days were coming, but they didn’t detour God’s plan.
“God doesn’t GO before you so that He can run out on you in the middle of uncertainty.”
Move Forward in Peace – “Don’t be afraid…He will neither fail you nor abandon you.”
We must not ignore the protective methods prescribed to diminish the spread of the COVID-19.
· That would be like ignoring the smoke detector the next time it goes off.
· But we can’t let fear control us.
We must move forward with the PEACE of God in control knowing that God is with us, providing strength and courage to face tomorrow. Read: Lamentations 3:19-25
· Is your hope in the Lord? Do you rely on Him for strength today?