Introduction: Who in life do you love most? Who loves you most, and how do you determine who loves you most? Psychology tells us that love is a basic necessity in everyone’s life. Love is more than emotional sentiment or physical attraction. The Apostle John teaches us that love is a selfless and sacrificial action. How do you love?
Love Others Because God Loves You – 1 John 4:7-10
• God is the source of love.
• Love is NOT God.
Attributes of God are equal:
• God is sovereign and also good.
• God is love, but God is holy.
• God knows all, but forgives all.
Love is selfless and sacrificial.
• Love is others consumed – focused on meeting needs rather than receiving service.
• Love is sacrificial – it costs you something.
How do you know that God loves you?
• Jesus – God sent His one and only Son to you.
• The Cross – God demonstrated His love for us through Jesus’ sacrificial death.
Love Others Because God Lives in You – 1 John 4:11-21
• The Holy Spirit releases God’s love that is in you.
Natural love says, I love people who love me.
• Supernatural love says, The Holy Spirit gives me the ability to love my enemy.
Love Non-Christians – 1 John:14-17
God tells you that you are loved by Him. Then He commands you to love others as He loved you.
• When you know how loved you are, then you are able to love like Jesus.
Love Other Christians – 1 John 4:18-21
The Holy Spirit opens the door for our response to God’s love and others.
• God’s love flows to you and must flow from you. (Romans 8:16)
Fear or Love
• Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hatred, hatred leads to suffering and murder.
• Love leads to compassion, compassion leads to empathy, empathy leads to generosity.
God’s love was expressed, it broke our hearts of stone, and brought us to Him with repentant hearts.
• God’s love makes broken people whole, angry people joyful, and lonely people reconciled.
Weekly Questions: Who loves you most? Who do you love most? Who do you need to love like Jesus loves?