Introduction: Have you ever needed a stain removed from an important piece of clothing, furniture, a car interior, or a light-colored carpet? What’s your first reaction when a stain is revealed? Do you throw the garment or piece of furniture away? Do you purchase car seat covers from WeatherTech or a nice new area rug to place over the carpet? All are options, but they don’t remove the stain.
Who Should You Believe? – 1 John 1:1-4
• The Apostle John encourages the 1st Century Church to believe him because he was there with Jesus.
• John encourages us today to believe him saying that Jesus is the Son of God.
Who Is Jesus? – 1 John 1:1-4
Two Views of Who Jesus Is:
1. Jesus was only divine, not at all human.
2. Jesus was only human, not at all God.
Jesus is fully God and fully man.
• From the beginning (not created) – 1 John 1:1
• Word of Life (right now) – 1 John 1:1
• Eternal Life (yet to come) – 1 John 1:2
Light and Darkness – 1 John 1:5 – 2:2
• Light that is Revealing
> God reveals sin.
“This is the way; walk in it.” Isaiah 30:22 NLT
• Light that is Healing
> God deals with sin.
> God heals sin.
The Bad News, Good News
• If you are NOT a sinner, you have no need of a Savior.
• If the Light of God reveals to you that you are a sinner, the overwhelming healing of God comes.
Confession: Agreeing with God that you are wrong and He is right, and that you need forgiveness.
Weekly Questions: Is there any darkness in you? How will you begin to address the darkness you keep? How does the overwhelming forgiveness of God make you feel? Do you think it would be good for you to share God’s grace and forgiveness with others? If they received Jesus, would that make your joy complete?