Introduction: The question this week is: Where do you need the courage to change something God is calling you to change? Change takes courage. Saying yes to God takes courage. Trusting God always takes courage to change.
1. Do Not Be Afraid
· Encounters with the angels in the Christmas Story always involve fear.
In Scripture the visitation of an angel is always alarming; it has to begin by saying, ‘Fear not.’ The Victorian angel looks as if it were going to say, ‘There, there now.’ C.S. Lewis
Two Responses to God’s Call
· Yes, which takes courage.
· No, which leaves you in fear.
2. Change Requires Courage
· When you are afraid, remember who you are:
° You are a son or daughter of God.
° You are made in the spiritual image of God, for His divine purpose.
° God says to live courageously and fearlessly.
3. Courage Requires Facing the Fear
· Joseph’s angel visit came after the anxiety and fear.
· Joseph faced the fear, but he’d made the wrong decision.
· Joseph had the courage to change.
Courage is not the absence of fear; it is doing what God wants you to do in the face of fear.
4. Jesus is With You
· You are not alone.
· Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are walking with you.
· Don’t be afraid to change the things you can because God is with you.
What’s the truth about me that God is calling me to face, and I’m afraid to face it?
When God looks at you…
· He sees who He has called you to be.
· He says, “Do not be afraid, you got this!”
1. What is God calling you to change this Christmas season, at the end of 2019?
2. Will you have the courage to let God change you and determine your future?