Introduction: Has your life ever been very peaceful and calm, then out of nowhere an unexpected wave knocks you off your feet and sends you tumbling out of control? Sometimes that unexpected wave is as simple as a traffic jam that makes you late to work. Other times it is a serious health challenge. What does it take to disturb your peace and calm?
Accepting God’s Plan – Luke 1:29, 32, 38
· Mary did not know the future, only the present.
· The angel’s message was her very unexpected wave.
· Her response was amazing.
“I am the Lord’s servant…May Your word to me be fulfilled.” Luke 1:38 NIV
Accept the Death of Dreams
· Every parent has dreams for their child.
· What exactly did Mary dream for Jesus?
· Did you ever have a dream die?
· Parents, do you have dreams for your children that they aren’t fulfilling?
Accept Your Inability to Control – Luke 2:28
· What do I do when I can’t control my children?
· What do I do when I can’t stop aging?
Making Room in Your Heart to Accept – Luke 2:19
· Accepting what you cannot change requires making space in your heart for the things you cannot change.
· Accepting means: Stop regretting a past you cannot fix or worrying about a future you cannot control.
· You live in the present where God is NOW.
· Emmanuel – GOD WITH US.
Accept Rejection and Disappointment – Mark 3:21; John 19:26
· Mary felt rejected by her son Jesus.
· Mary watched her son die.
Followers of Jesus do not say, “I choose an attitude of serenity because it is a more pleasant way to live.”
· Followers of Jesus pray, “O God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.”
Accept Eternal Hope – Acts 1:14
· The God of the Cross is also the God of the Resurrection.
1. In what area of your life do you struggle to have peace? What in your past do you want to fix? What in your future do you try to control?