Introduction: In the Gospel of John, we find that people who were religious came to Jesus and that Jesus went to people who were outcasts. Jesus went to help where others wouldn’t go. Jesus asks the probing question to a paralytic in today’s talk, “Do you want to be well?” I ask you today, “Do you want to be well?”
Do You Want to Be Well?
Do You Want to Be Healed? – John 5:1-7
The Paralytic’s View
· Others are the reason I’m still paralyzed.
· God is a first come, first served God.
· He was hopeless with regards to improvement.
· Jesus went to the weak and sick.
Not everyone wants to get better – not everyone wants to change.
Sin No More – John 5:8-14
· God works instantly and through process.
God’s principles don’t change – people’s methods change.
· The paralytic blamed Jesus for instructing him to break the Sabbath Law.
Four Causes of Suffering
1. Sin entered the world – Romans 5:12
2. Other’s actions
3. Spiritual activity – Matt 8:16
4. You hurt yourself
Jesus Is God – John 5:15-18
· This is the beginning of Jesus’ suffering.
· Jesus ended this man’s suffering.
There can be physical change in the spiritually weak.
The Father Loves the Son – John 5:19-29
· Rejection of Jesus is the rejection of the Father.
Jesus comes to people who are not looking for Him or asking for Him.