Introduction: Is God anti-sex? Does faith in God, and particularly faith in Jesus, make sense for the thinking people in our modern day? As thoughtful people seeking God’s way of living, we look to hear what the Bible has to say about sex.
What does the Bible Say About Sex?
· Your spiritual life is expressed in your physical life.
· What’s in your heart is expressed in your physical body.
· Christianity is a head, heart, and hands kind of faith.
If you believe that God sent His Son, Jesus Christ, to earth to redeem you, develop meaningful relationship with you, and promise you eternal life with Him forever, then any conversation, about any subject, is possible.
“You do not belong to yourself,for God bought you with a high price.” 1 Corinthians 6:20
What’s Our Cultural Narrative About Sex?
· Our culture says anything that is powerful is worshiped or made evil.
How do we move forward?
· Know that your body is created for God’s glory.
· God created boundaries around our lives that allow us to flourish.
What is the good news in all of this mess?
· God is not anti-sex.
· Sex is not God.
· God is pro-you.
· Sex doesn’t define you.
“This life, therefore, is not being but becoming, not health but healing, for we are not yet what we will one day be.” Martin Luther
Can Thoughtful People Today Engage in a Different Way?
· If you find your identity in Christ, then anything can be different.
· If pleasing Christ is more important to you than anything, then everything can be different.
· If my desires are second and God’s will is first, then all things are possible.
· If my head, heart, and hands are engaged in seeking, loving, and demonstrating Jesus Christ to a broken world, then hope of change is endless.
1. What general principles about our sex lives can we derive from 1 Corinthians 6?
2. How do these biblical principles for our sex lives compare with your practices?
3. With God’s help, what are you going to do, to become aligned with these biblical principles?