Introduction: Did you hear enough bad news in 2020? Did you have enough cause for concern multiple times in 2020? Are you praying for a more prosperous and hopeful new year in 2021? In 2020, did your doubt or faith increase? How will 2021 be different for you?
Definition of Optimism:
• Optimism is not a denial of reality.
• Optimism is confidence about the future, of a successful outcome.
• Optimism is the unwavering expectation that our loving God is working in every situation for our future good.
“And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.” Romans 8:28 NLT
1. What consumes your mind, controls your life.
2. The quality of your life will never exceed the quality of your thoughts.
Pessimists tend to view negative events as personal and permanent.
“I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.” Romans 8:18 NIV
The struggle I’m in today is producing the strength I need tomorrow!
“And the Holy Spirit helps us in our weakness.” Romans 8:26 NLT
This Week’s Questions:
1. Have you ever thought of optimism as the expectation that God will work every situation for your good? What do you think about that?
2. What would your life be like if you completely trusted that God was always with you and for you?
3. How can you shift your mindset so that you trust, in every situation, that God is working for your good? Consider your thoughts this week. If any are negatively affecting your quality of life and those around you, ask God to direct those thoughts toward Him.