Introduction: Have you ever met a family member that you hadn’t seen before and were surprised at the family resemblance? Maybe you’ve experienced a moment when an adopted child met their biological parent for the first time, and they saw a resemblance of themselves in their biological parent, both physically and in behaviors. The Apostle John tells us that if we are genuinely following Jesus, we will start looking more and more like Him.
We Are God’s Kids – 1 John 2:28-29
• God comes as a loving Father to invest in His children.
• You can be born into the family of God.
When you were born into your biological family, you were not born into God’s family.
• The Scriptures teach us clearly, You must be born again!
• Born spiritually through the Crucifixion and Resurrection of Jesus Christ.
• Your worldview, conduct, and character begin to change.
Is there something in your conduct or character that makes you concerned about meeting Jesus face to face today?
• Jesus stands ready with open arms to forgive.
The Family Resemblance – 1 John 3:1-6
“God tells you who and whose you are before He tells you what to do. Relationship before Expectation.”
Two Views of Sin and the Law
1. Perfectionism – never sin: 1 John 1: 8-10
2. Permissiveness – can continue in habitual sin: 1 John 2:4
Two Families – 1 John 3:7-10
Assurance of love then the expectation.
• Christians should look like Jesus to the world.
“Internal change becomes external change that lasts eternally.”
God’s seed, the Gospel, produces people who look more like Jesus.
• Those who are transformed in conduct and character.
God loves His little children, so love God and love others, little children, but hate sin.
1. What changes to your conduct or character has God made in your life recently? What changes speak to the world that you are a follower of Jesus Christ?
2. Christ is returning someday; are you prepared to meet Jesus Christ?