Introduction: Have you ever purchased a knockoff watch, handbag, or pair of shoes? Did you know that you were purchasing a knockoff, or did you think you were purchasing the genuine product? In 1 John, the Apostle lovingly encourages us to remain in fellowship with Jesus Christ who is the “Deep Truth” and not a counterfeit.
Deep Relationship – 1 John 2:18-21
Only John’s letters speak of the antichrist. Other Scriptures imply the antichrist.
• “False Christ” – Matthew 24:24 & Mark 13:22
• “Man of lawlessness” – 2 Thessalonians 2:1-12
• “The beast” – Revelation 13:3
Who are the antichrists John speaks of?
• People or movements that are teaching against Jesus the Messiah, God’s Son.
Real Truth – 1 John 2:20-21
• God’s Word and trusted, truthful Bible teachers are external sources that build our faith.
• The Holy Spirit is an internal confirmation that what is being said is truth!
The Real Jesus – 1 John 2:22-23
• Jesus is fully human.
• Jesus is fully God.
• Hypostatic Union
Deep Assurance – 1 John 2:24-27
• Let the truth of Jesus Christ sink deeply into your life.
• Remain in fellowship with Jesus and the Father.
Two Ways You Can Leave the Truth
1. Deny the truth willfully and knowingly.
2. Wander away from the truth by neglecting the truth that is in you.
“Those who teach new doctrine rarely return (to faith in Christ).” Martin Luther
A Deep Conclusion – 1 John 2:28-29
• Remain in fellowship with Christ – do what is right.
• Love God with all you are and love people, even your enemies.
“Staying with it—that’s what God requires. Stay with it to the end. You won’t be sorry…” Matthew 24:13 MSG
1. Did this message enlighten you about the antichrist John speaks of?
2. How does the truth that Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man impact your view of Jesus? Are you ever tempted to move away from the truth?
3. What does this encouragement from John to “remain in fellowship” with God mean to you?