Introduction: 1 John ends like a Zoom call that gets disconnected. It seems as though John is in the middle of a statement, and the internet shuts down. This loving, warmhearted disciple of Jesus, John, concludes by telling the 2nd and 3rd generation Christians to make Jesus the center of their life and worship.
What God Wants – 1 John 5:13
• God wants to be with you forever.
• Eternal life is life with God forever.
Eternal life with Jesus begins the moment you meet Jesus, not the moment you die.
God Wants to Hear from You – 1 John 5:14-15
• Prayer is conversation with God, “Your will be done”.
How do you know if your prayer is in God’s will?
• Search the Bible.
• Seek wise counsel.
• Be sensitive to the Holy Spirit.
God Wants to Help Those You Care About – 1 John 5:16-17
• All Scripture is equally true, but not all Scripture is equally clear.
New Life Church doesn’t believe in moral transformation, but in supernatural Salvation.
God Wants to Help You Change – 1 John 5:18
• At salvation, God changes who you are, and that will change what you do.
God Wants to Help You Know Jesus – 1 John 5:20
• Jesus Christ is the true God.
• Be aware of false gods.
God is Better than Idols – 1 John 5:21
• Idolatry is worshiping something or someone that isn’t God.
Questions to ask to identify idols in your life:
• Who/What do you love most?
• Who/What do you fear?
• Who/What do you make sacrifices for?
If you take anything and make it the center of your life, it becomes your idol.
• Jesus doesn’t exist to give you your idols, but to be the object of your worship.