Introduction: Today, I want to share five encouragements I’d like every married couple to make, so that you can begin the process of “fail proofing” your marriage. For those who are single, but hope to be married one day, I hope you’ll hear these encouragements as something you will implement in your relationships as you prepare for a godly marriage.
1. Seek God First – Matthew 6:33 & 22:37
• Read God’s Word together.
• Pray together.
• Worship in church together.
• Have fellowship with Christian couples.
2. Fight Fair – James 1:19-20
• Healthy couples fight for resolution. Unhealthy couples fight to win.
“… it’s not if you fight, but it’s how you fight.” Dr. John Gottman
Rules to Fight Fair – Proverbs 21:23, Ephesians 4:26-27
• Listen carefully.
• Guard your words.
• Handle your anger correctly.
3. Have Fun – Ecclesiastes 9:9
• Keep dating.
• Accomplish together.
• Keep intimacy alive.
4. Stay Pure – Hebrews 13:4, Ephesians 5:3, 1 Corinthians 6:18
• Stay sexually and emotionally pure.
5. Never Give Up – Matthew 19:3-6, 1 Corinthians 6:19-20
“God made us with opposite attractions for the sake of the children.” Tim Keller
Marriage is a Covenant, Not a Contract Between a Man and a Woman
• A contract is based on mutual distrust.
– Contracts limit your responsibilities and protect your rights.
• Covenants are based on mutual commitments.
– Covenants limit your rights and increase your responsibilities.
1. What encouragement in this message most helped you?
2. Are these five encouragements something you will try to implement moving forward in your relationships and marriage?