Introduction: More than 40% of US citizens confess that they experience periods of loneliness. The US Surgeon General wrote, “(Loneliness is) worse for your health than smoking 15 cigarettes a day, and the worst part is, it crushes the soul.” With billions of people in the world, somebody should be able to figure out a system where no one is lonely. Somebody did… and it’s called the Church.
“God’s aim in human history is the creation of an all-inclusive community of loving persons with Himself included as its primary sustainer and most glorious inhabitant.” Dallas Willard
Jesus came simply to start a family where everybody is welcome, nobody is perfect, and everyone is loved.
1. “Carry each other’s burdens, and in this way you will fulfill the law of Christ.” Galatians 6:2 NIV
2. “Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you in order to bring praise to God.” Romans 15:7 NIV
3. “Therefore, confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed…” James 5:16 NIV
4. “You, my brothers and sisters, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the flesh; rather, serve one another humbly in love.” Galatians 5:13 NIV
“The real magic in the Magic Kingdom isn’t the characters or the music or the rides. It’s the spirit of servanthood in everybody who works there. If you cannot serve, you cannot be part of the kingdom.” (Unknown trainer at Disneyland)
5. “Greet one another with a holy kiss.” 2 Corinthians 13:12 NIV
1. Jesus’ invitation to God’s family is available to anyone. What, if anything, inhibits you from fully embracing that invitation?
2. What is a practical step that you can take to help others to experience the goodness of belonging to our church family?