A Good Question
“What must I do to inherit eternal life?” Mark 10:17
· Steph Curry going to Michael Jordan asking, “How can I shoot even better?”
A Salty Answer
“No one is good—except God alone.” Mark 10:18
· Flattery will not manipulate a conversation with God.
· Rich young ruler prides himself on character and integrity.
Loving the Rich
“Jesus looked at him and loved him.” Mark 10:21
· Jesus was poor. This guy was rich. Jesus loves him.
· You can’t opt out and not love wealthy people. Sometimes they are the loneliest.
Just One More Thing
“One thing you lack” Mark 10:21a
· He was impoverished.
Go, sell, give, follow…
“Go, sell everything…give to the poor… follow Me.” Mark 10:21b
· The rich young ruler wanted to be good, but he wanted to be a rich, young ruler more than he wanted to obey God.
How Hard is It?
“Children, how hard it is to enter the kingdom of God!” Mark 10:23b
· Question: Is wealth a sign of God’s blessing?
· The pursuit of money, power, authority, or youth isn’t what the CHURCH is about.
Here’s what we are all called to do.
· Relinquish control of our life, will, resources, and money to God.
· The most tangible expression of this is to give.
Just one more thing… You will have treasure in heaven.
1. How do you identify with the young man in the story?
2. Would Jesus say that you are lacking the same thing as he was?
3. How will you respond to this message?